Carla Folkert: Planning & Zoning Chair
The Planning & Zoning Commission meets the first Tuesday of every month at 7 PM at the Elgin Fire Hall
Zoning Ordinances can be viewed by clicking on the following: ZONING ORDINANCE
To Do List for Permits:
We strongly encourage you to attend a P & Z Meeting for more information and to discuss your project to see if a permit is required.
1) Submit completed building permit application. Click on the following: Building Permit Application for application form.
2) If you are signing the application form yourself, (not a licensed contractor) please also complete the following: Waiver
3) Submit a site plan showing property boundaries and building(s) locations. Dimensions should show distance from building to all property lines. Include length and width of property and any permanent structures.
4) Submit a set of plans which include footing, foundation, and wall & roof details (if applicable)
Additional forms may be needed depending on the project. Those forms can be picked up at the City Office.
5) Please return items to the City Office- 130 E Main Street, PO Box 236, Elgin
After your permit application is submitted to the City, the Planning and Zoning Commission will review it at their next meeting. It will either be approved, denied or additional information may be needed. Once it is approved by P & Z it will go before the City Council for final approval. Upon final approval the permit will be sent to Construction Management Services (CMS) for processing.
Please allow at least two weeks for processing at CMS. Depending on your project scope and time of year, the permit application process can be lengthy. It is advised you plan ahead a such as possible.
To speak with the Planning and Zoning chairperson, Carla Folkert, please call the Elgin City Office to get her contact information.