“Volunteer Fire Departments think as a group. It is a brotherhood in which they fiercely defend one another and this solidarity seems to be a major piece of the recipe that gives them the combined courage to do the good work that they do”.
The Elgin Fire Department was founded in 1905. It is currently a twenty-five member volunteer organization that covers the City of Elgin along with 96 square miles amongst six townships. Their responsibilities include structural, wild land, and auto fire along with vehicle extrication and general rescue.
Each new recruit must complete 120 hours of initial training and each member must participate in 30 hours of continued training each year.
Funding is shared between the City of Elgin and the Elgin Rural Fire Truck Association along with supplemental funds raised through public fundraising and grants.
Currently, the department has two engines, two tenders, one brush attack vehicle and one rescue rig.